Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Still Getting it Done

Earlier today Carp asked me about how I was handling the longer season in regards to the holidays, diet, training, focus, and fatigue. Honestly, the last three weeks have been pretty trying.

Upon our return from Jingle Cross we got about 4 inches of snow. I was really counting on the snow staying away until after the new year. I'd planned on taking a week off after Jingle Cross, especially as travel to Bend was off the calendar. But that one week kinda turned into two and I definitely wasn't at my best at the Iowa State Championships. I just didn't feel like I had any snap in my legs. And the problem with that is you start to question yourself and during these gloomy months it's pretty easy to turn into a head case.

So what have I been doing?

Shortly after the Iowa race, we got a little warm snap and the snow melted in a little more than a day. I was able to get back on the practice course and got down to business. It wasn't pretty at first, legs still felt flat but after about 5 days of consistent pedaling again I really feel like it was coming back around. So much so that I'm now thinking the week and half of easy riding is paying off.

So from a training and fatigue standpoint I feel like I'm still going strong. Diet is probably my biggest struggle. I think I've gained about 5 pounds since the start of the cyclocross season. Most of it's probably due to the fact that I've done virtually no endurance training but I still just want to eat, eat, eat, but I'm not burning the calories. Besides, I've got 3 weeks to knock down a pound or two or five. Luckily the holiday festivities are at a minimum this year so I shouldn't have to stay away from too much pie.

I will say it was kind of weird showing up for my first winter group ride this weekend. Everyone is in base mile mode while I'm still doing hill intervals, but we made it work.

Focused...you bet.

Fatigued...not at all.

Lets go race.

3 comments:

Jeff Yielding said...

Good post Mark. I hear you on the longer season training but enjoying the heck out of it.

Are there any races for you between now and Nats?

MOD 2.0 said...

I was thinking of doing KC on the 26th but pretty sure I'll just stay home how. Maybe some motor-pacing instead.

On a roll right now at might training grounds and so far no new snow (fingers crossed)

mw said...

i too enjoy a good eat eat eat