Thursday, December 1, 2011

Goals

This season has been going pretty good to say the least. It's been a ton of fun really getting back into this sport that I've spent so long competing in. Two years ago I asked Anne to give me three years to be a bike racer again. It was at that time they had just announced that the Masters World Championships would be held in the US for both 2012 and 2013.

I figured I'd use the 2010 season to get back into the swing of things and learn about the cyclocross scene that was exploding in the US. 2011 would be my fine tuning season to see if this dream was even a possibility. The early season road races gave me good "sensations" but as the heat of summer hit, the legs were feeling tired and I was generally worried that I may have done too much earlier in the year and jeopardized my 'cross season. I rebounded quite well as I often do when the temperatures begin to head south and have managed to put together my best ever season as a bike racer.

Which brings me to goals. At the end of last season I had a handful of goals I wanted to hit. The first was to again win the Nebraska State Championship. I was lucky enough to accomplish that a few weeks back. The next goal was to win the USGP race series. I currently sit 2nd overall and unfortunately won't be able to contest the final round in Bend, OR. To win would be a long shot and in hindsight I probably should have raced much more aggressively throughout the season.

My next two goals are still on the horizon. A top 5 at the National Championships and a top 10 at the World Championships. The next 4 weeks hold the key to this one.

Lastly, and this one was more for fun than anything else, was to get on the first page of the CrossResults.com points list. Which meant being in the top 250 riders of their rankings. I missed it earlier in the season by a mere 8 places but my good results over the past 6 races finally pushed me up to the first page, 218th place to be exact. I'm pretty stoked about it even though it means virtually nothing. But then, I guess it's the little things in our own head that keep us moving forward.

4 comments:

Brent Butch Johnson said...

Stoked for you. Get Rad! You got it in you.

mw said...

good to have goals. too often i think about a goal, but never really commit to it. happy for you brah.

jonathan neve said...

You're two down from Stybar on upgrade points on cross results. That in itself is pretty great.

Iowagriz said...

Great job on the season, it has been great to follow you through the year. Keep your eye on the prize at the end.
Tom