Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Putting the pieces back together

I love riding at the back
Photo: Lois Burnertt
I haven't really felt like blogging much, as you may have noticed. Posts have been few and far between. Probably because, well, I haven't really been mister positive on the bike. I've been having a bit of a rough go of it over the past what's felt like 2 months.

Legs haven't felt fresh, regardless how much rest I've given them. The only underlying bright spot is that even though I haven't been feeling great, I know I'm still stronger than last year at this time.

So what's changed? Well, there's been debate about the benefits of the Wednesday Worlds ride in the past. Is it good? Is it bad? Is it too hard? Honestly, I felt like I had really good form but as the Wednesday ride heated up I felt like my fitness was going backwards. It's pretty easy to conclude that the ride is easily too hard for too long and then too easy for too long.

My answer? Well, over the past two weeks I've limited my time in the red zone, backing off early. I still go hard but it's for a much more finite and focus effort. It seems to be working too as I felt better and more powerful than I've felt in weeks.

So is the Wednesday Worlds ride a good thing? Yes, you just have to know when, where and how long to go hard. No super human efforts here, that's for sure.

No comments: