Thursday, May 5, 2011

Off the sauce

It's been a week now with no to little coffee caffeine. What a difference. On last nights Wednesday Worlds ride my heart rate was way more normal, it even seemed like I was recovering faster. Now I'm no nutritionist or dietitian but it seems like it's had a significant effect on my hydration levels too.

I also noticed less cramping. Two weeks ago and at Twin Bing it was really bad. Here's the odd bit. We have a scale at home that not only measures weight but also body fat percentage. The body fat measurement is pretty useless for athletes but it works well enough as a gauge to see if you're losing or gaining. It does this measurement using bio-resistance which is greatly effected by how well you're hydrated. My practical sense tells me that if coffee is a diarrhetic, even though I felt well hydrated I don't think I really was. Reason being, now that I've given up coffee caffeine, my body fat reading has dropped almost 2 points. Makes you go hmm because I now I didn't miraculously lose three and half pounds of just fat last week.

Regardless, the effects of going coffee free have been positive. I still enjoy my mocha now and then, decaf of course, I just love flavor/taste of coffee and chocolate, all mixed together. I'm also back using EP-NO and still take a multi-vitamin. I had an issue years ago that whenever I rode, regardless of how rested I was, I always felt lethargic on the bike. I figured that at the time, age 28ish, my body had changed and I was deficient in something. The multi-vitamin corrected whatever it was. On a whim, I thought I'd try EP-NO to counteract my bruising issues. It's billed as a nature blood builder and whatever it does, when I'm on it, I bruise significantly less. I went without it most of the winter when we were doing low intensity stuff, but now that intensity has increased due to WNW, I felt I needed to get back on it. Placebo or not, these things help me. And just like my Mad Alchemy Pre-Ride Oil that makes my legs all nice and shiny, if you feel fast, you'll ride faster.

5 comments:

mw said...

not off coffe for me, just much much less. i'll go for a few days without it. but i'll have a double espresso everynow and again. just not everyday or everyother day and certainly not after having coffee all morning. no more coffee all morning. that's for sure. man, i like coffee still tho.

MOD 2.0 said...

I'm coffee light

Mike Miles said...

Does the EP-NO still taste like blood? I tried to take it but couldn't handle the taste so I quit using it...that was like 2006 or so.

MOD 2.0 said...

Mike...

1) It's a pill, not a lozenge

2) If by taste like blood you mean blood throat, that thing you get when you do a super human climb on your mountain bike at altitude. No, they don't taste like that anymore.

3) I've felt like they tasted like blood and I've been using it on and off since '09.

mw said...

did you say something about coffee?