Thursday, May 19, 2011

Been a while

So what have you been up to? Well, Blogger was down most of last week, and of course the Giro is on so I've been watching and not writing.

However, things are happening. My GB Rafal stormed to a stellar victory up at the Almanzo 162. That's what you get when you just ride your bike. No fancy programs, just mile after mile. So if you want to know how to get fast, ride your bike, ride your bike, ride your bike.

I've been talking up my recent return to using EP-NO and my not using of coffee caffeine. Well, a third factor has come into play, that of pollen. I guess it's been pretty bad this year and a longer season too. Pollen counts have dropped considerably over the past few days and I'm feeling better and better. For about the last month I've been pretty down, but Tuesdays and Wednesdays rides were really nice so hopefully I've turned a corner.

This weekend is the good old Capital City Criterium. I won the thing way back in 1993 when it was held in the Haymarket. We had a four man break that lapped the field. It was pretty awesome winning my hometown race in front of friends and family. I've been able to do it twice now including last years cyclocross championship race at Pioneers Park. The Capital City Crit was also my very first every race although back in 1983 it was held in September. Saturday was a road race from Bellevue to Lincoln and then the Criterium was held on Sunday. That first race was around the big loop which included a full lap around the Capitol plus an extra block that included the narrow bit on 15th street. I think that first race was two laps, and at 13 years old it felt like an eternity. Even funnier is to think that I was probably racing in Ocean Pacific corduroy shorts, t-shirt and high top Chuck Taylors. Good memories fore sure. Forecast isn't looking too good for Saturday, hope the rain stays away.


5 comments:

Marc said...

Getting faster is not that simple. Everyone reacts differently. The same program of training will not work for everyone and this is called the Principle of Individualization. I can take anyone and train them to their genetic potential with the right tools.

Time is the limiting factor. Take pro's for example, they aren't limited by time so they can reach their genetic potential.

Here's the solution: Overall volume is critical to developing the cardiovascular and muscle endurance systems. This is true. It is called the OVerload Principle. In small doses the body adapts to stress with recovery. This is a fact and called the Principle of Prgression. Training more will produce fitness to a point. Principle of Specificity: yes, ride your bike to be good on the bike. Doing it in a wrong manner will produce injuries, burn out and overtraining.This is where the science of periodization comes in. It is a "fancy" program, if you don't understand it, but again it's not. It's all written down in books and proven science.

MOD 2.0 said...

Everything in moderation

MOD 2.0 said...

Actually let me elaborate.

For those of us that don't or can't afford a paid coach. Riding your bike with an HRM and a rough idea of your HR zones will get you 95% of the way. It will help keep you from over-training and make sure you're not under-training.

I see a lot of guys over-think their self training programs, when all they really need to do is ride their bikes because they have young legs with very few miles built up in them.

In Rafal's case, he wears an HRM, but doesn't do intervals or periodization. Nor does he need that for ultra-endurance events. In fact, I'd argue that the natural ebb and flow of weekly / monthly weather patterns will create a natural periodization effect. Not scientific, but effective.

A great way to burn out a young rider is to tell them to stick to a "fancy" program which can very easily take the fun out of riding because of the "I have to's". Psychologically, I'll take my methods. Keep it fresh, keep it fun, if you feel like riding, ride, if you fell like resting, rest. They seem to work pretty well.

Coach said...

Oh you two...Love it. Different strokes for different folks and it boils down to confidence in what you have done for preparation. Some folks need to live and die by planned intervals with wattage and heart rate monitors and others long hard rides without a computer basing everything on percieved exertion. Many would also argue that racing is the best training and all you need to do is that...

Probably some combination is the best prescription you can give someone.

I will note I've seen lots of guys come and go that live by a strict training program and I think it becomes to much like a job and takes the fun out of it over long periods of time.

RD said...

I had this long thing written on my ipad but it disappeared. Anywho that's what works for me... Considering where I was 4-5 years ago to today i would say i'm just stocked to be part of conversation... I'm sure for you are righ Marc but I can tell you that majority of cat 4/5 in the area don't need that fancy power meter stuff. but numbers always make people feel good about themselves