Monday, February 21, 2011

No Lincoln, but Glenwood

This weekend the plan was for gravel in Lincoln. But Rafal got stuck in the upper peninsula. Instead we road the boulevard of broken dreams and shattered wills. To say the ride was intense would be an understatement. Things started off relaxed enough. Until we hit the climb out of the valley on our way to Glenwood. I went about setting a nice tempo, 16-17 mph on the climb, then all hell broke loose. Somebody came through then somebody else, and before I knew it we were blasting up the climb. It was amazing how quickly it got out of hand.

Months of pinned up winter ride frustration was being unleashed. I should have shown a bit more restraint but I just found myself following the wheels and taking my turn at the front. By the time we rolled into Glenwood the A group was splintered into groups of 2 and 3.

We finally settled down a bit as we cut across through Pacific Junction and on to Plattesmouth. We took a water stop and prepared for the tailwind push home. The steady climb out of Plattesmouth gave way to a second full blown sufferfest as we wound our way behind StratCom and up to Bellevue Blvd. Shim, Spence and I were flying, I mean driving really hard. I finally came to my senses and eased up. It is February after all.

6 comments:

Carl said...

I know exactly how you feel. Pretty much did the same thing myself. Hoping I didn't dig too deep of a hole for the rest of the week.

Shim said...

That was sweet! You can't get an effort like that on a trainer.

Shim said...

Or at the Bike Masters ride, (Hi James).

JP said...

MONDAY, FEBRUARY 21, 2011
No Ride, but Omaha

This weekend the plan was for my first ride of the year with the D street crew in Lincoln. But I got stuck in the lower level of nursery furniture. Instead of riding bikes I drove the boulevard of no interest financing and presidents day sales. To say the search was intense would be an understatement. Things started off relaxed enough. Until we hit the Pottery Barn for Kids on our way to Nebraska Furniture Mart. I went about looking in the discount/floor model section, then all hell broke loose. Frankie fell in love with an antiqued-white crib that converted into a toddler day bed, and before I knew it we were tucking in our future seventeen year-old into this convertible baby crib. It was amazing how quickly it got out of hand.

Months of pinned up winter no-ride frustration was being unleashed. I should have shown a bit more restraint but I just found myself following the salesperson and taking my turn holding onto my wife's purse. By the time we rolled into the Baby SuperStore, the field of potential baby cribs was narrowed to just 2 or 3.

We finally settled down a bit as we cut across Dodge and turned on to 72nd street. We took a bathroom stop and prepared for the onslaught of sales people at the NFM. The steady escalator descent into the lower level gave way to a second full blown attack of sales people as we wound our way behind the daybeds and over to the nursery section. Frankie and I were gathering brochures, talking extended warrantees, I mean we were looking really hard. I finally came to my senses and eased up. It is February after all.

KEV said...

That's awesome JP. And you'll still be killing it come spring...or next weekend.

MOD 2.0 said...

Oh, that's funny shit JP.