Wednesday, February 9, 2011

My Picks: Shimano C35 Wheelset

As we roll toward the 2011 season I thought I'd throw up some of the products that I'm most excited about. When the Shimano C35 wheelset was announced last year I was immediately interested.

Over the past 5 years we've seen the wheels of choice go from lightweight low profile aluminum to ultra deep dish carbon aero wheels that aren't so light. It looks now like the scale has found it's balance point.

Over the past year I've become a huge fan of Shimano wheels. You won't find any flashy marketing behind them, they just get the job done, and done well.

My first experience came on Shimano's 29er wheel which led me to try the Ultegra tubeless clincher wheel which I promptly went about trying to destroy during 'cross season with a rear derailleur kicked into the rear wheel. After a small bout of breaking and replacing the damaged spokes the wheel survived into the road / gravel road season. I was really impressed how these wheels rode when they were set up with Hutichinson tubeless tires.

As cross season got closer, I ordered a second set of Ultegra's for my b-bike as well as a pair of the Shimano RS30 wheels for training. As the name suggests it is a medium profile wheel with a 30mm rim depth. I've been equally impressed with these hoops. At 1900+ grams they're stout, stiff and amazingly strong and won't break the bank.

Enter the C35. Again, as the name implies, it has a 35mm rim depth and is available in an aluminum/carbon clincher or full carbon tubular. After literally months of debate I've decided to make the jump back to tubulars for 2011 having walked away from them in the early 90's. At 1300+ grams that's a full 1.3 pounds lighter than my RS30 training wheels. The general rule of thumb is that rotating mass is four times greater than static mass, which means these wheels will make the bike feel like it's over 5 pounds lighter on race day.

5 comments:

jono said...

Fuck, now everybody on the Omaha CX Facebook group is going to be running tubulars next year. Those are sick wheels though. I got to play with a pair at the last Park Tool tech summit. They look sick in person.

MOD 2.0 said...

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I reached a point this season at two races where I felt not having tubulars held me back. Boulevard Cup and Ft. Collins.

Blvd Cup was a low pressure/cornering speed situation, FoCo was a mud situation. Every other race I was fine on my 6700's.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother with glue unless you have disposable income or really feel like it's holding you back.

For CX I'll have the C35's glued up with Challenge Fango's and a matching set on one pair of my 6700's for a dry set-up. I found a pair of NOS Bontrager RXL tubulars that I'll glue up with Challenges new mud tire and then have my Clement PDX's on the second set of 6700's for mud races. Two pair mud wheels, two pair dry wheels, RS30's for training.

erik said...

i just got a pair of challenge parigi-roubaix, and you're right about advantages of fine rubber. clinchers, but closer enough. anyway, i'm being nice see?

MOD 2.0 said...

Roubaix's are cool tires, you'll have to let me know how you like them. I was thinking of grabbing a pair for gravel.

RD said...

yeah I would be wondering how those work on mixed surface most the cx tires really only last about 2k if used pavement/gravel