Thursday, January 13, 2011

Cue the Pre-Season

I've been away a while. From the blogosphere that is. I've been spending most of my "online" time with the hand held and keeping it to 140 characters or less. Well that was last month. If you're not on Twitter well, you're probably not missing much but it seems to have heated up over the past few months, locally anyway.



I and we, have been back on the bikes pretty solidly for two weeks now. Gravel and road miles are ticking off, at least they were ticking off until Monday morning. Now it might be time for skinny skis.


One thing for sure is it's time to get back on the preseason program. Big goals have been laid out for the 2011 season, one of which is another serious reduction in race weight. I can't get my bike 15 pounds lighter so it'll have to come from... A mini cleanse is on the horizon. So let's talk food. Anne and I have swore off eating out as much as we did last year which means we're back in the kitchen. Since it's soup season we started off with a stellar crock pot Roasted Corn Chowder. Karen and MW wanted the recipe so here it is.

2 quarts of chicken broth (for you veggies, veggie broth should work too I imagine)
1 small onion diced
1 red pepper diced
1 peeled and chopped carrot
2 16oz. bags of Trader Joe's frozen roasted corn
2 medium potato's chopped

We put everything in the crock pot for about 9 hours and then you can either chop it up with an immersion blender or we poured it into a food processor and blended it all to get the chunky / creamy chowder texture. If you want to spice it up a bit we seasoned it to taste with Tapatio or Chipotle Tobasco.

A chuck roast chili verde went into the crock pot this morning, we'll see how that turns out. Recipe to follow I'm sure. I'll leave you with a very on form Neils Albert, winning his first ever Tricolore.



No comments: