Sunday, January 16, 2011

More mileage, more food

Ah yes. I found myself breaking my own guidelines again this weekend. I general stay away from riding in temps colder than 20 degrees but Saturday I just couldn't stay away. The morning temps were higher than forecasted and warmer than the previous Saturday so I thought what the hell, let's do it.

My hands really froze the week before mainly due to the fact that I just wasn't riding hard enough to generate enough heat to stay warm. So the early tempo was a bit higher as I wanted to get warmed up and stay warmed up. Our early group of six dwindled to 4 pretty quick (sorry Shim and Leah), which made it RD, RF and Miles. We hit the hills first and kept the tempo as high as Rafal's singlespeed would allow. We extended the route up and around Honey Creek, one of my favorites, but as we rolled into Crescent for a brief warm-up my only thought was "10 miles to Blue Line".



We rolled in just as I was pretty chilled and done for the day, RF and Miles kept rolling for more mileage. Coffee and cookies consumed with 3+ hours behind us made for a great day, and one much better spent than sitting indoors on a trainer.

Sunday, Shim, Rafal, Megan, Anne and I got out for a good hour plus of XC ski action. The slow going of cutting a trail gave way to gliding speed on loop two. The form came back pretty quick. Post ski Jones Bros. cupcakes and coffee was a nice finish.

Crockpot round two was a roaring success, Chuck Roast Chili Verde stew. Biggest challenge was figuring out how to serve it. Finally figured out that it was probably best over rice, but the leftovers worked pretty well wrapped in corn tortillas. The recipe goes something like this...

4 lb chuck roast
1 green bell pepper diced
1 onion diced
1 4oz. can diced chili peppers
1 14.5oz. can diced tomatoes
10 tomatillos diced
4 cloves galic diced
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp sage
1 tbs oregano
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 handful of cilantro

Cook in the crockpot on low for 9-10 hours. Bam! Really good stuff.

Won't be eating anything like this for a while starting Monday. Time to go back on a 3 week Clean Program cycle. Time to reset the system and get everything firing on all 12 cylinders again. Definitely want the system at full health now that the weekend mileage is creeping up. Don't want to get sick now do we?


4 comments:

bryan said...

You don't think your cold hands have anything to do with those gloves not being very warm?

MOD 2.0 said...

I think "being warm enough" is a relative term. Considering Castelli only rates them to 32 degrees and we were riding both days in 15 degree temps, I'd say they're plenty warm for there intended use. I don't have any problems with them in temps above 20 degrees. Ask Miles about his hands, he was wearing PI Barriers, don't think he was much better.

I knew I'd be pushing the limit of my gear both days. The Sorpasso tights don't have enough wind protection when your talking 0-5 degree wind chills.

Radiation jacket though, I could easily go sub-zero in it, no problem. RXL booties are at there limit in 15 degree weather, toes got a bit cold but not pins and needles cold.

Considering it was 15-19 degrees Saturday with a 10-13 mph wind, it's pretty amazing that all I was wearing was a jacket, long sleeve jersey, mesh sleeveless baselayer, thermal tights, wool socks, winter gloves & hat, neck gaitor and booties. And the only thing that was cold were my hands.

Single_Speeder said...

Does that baselayer make a big difference when it's cold?

MOD 2.0 said...

By keeping damp clothing off my body? Yes.