Friday, August 13, 2010

Race prep with racing

The next four weeks will be all about endurance racing. Yeah, I know, great prep for 'cross season. Anyway, this weekend is the Rapture in Misery 6/12 hour at Crowder State Park in Trenton, MO. I've only been there once, and that was way back in 2004. I'll be racing this time with one gear of course, but the question is what gear?

Time to call on team over-analysis. Here's how I do it, so get out your calculators. The promoter thinks the top guys will be doing 45-50 minute 9 mile laps, which works out to about an 11-12 mph average. If you head over to Sheldon Browns little gear calculator, that puts me in the 34x21 range if I maintain an average cadence of 80-90 rpm. I also know I can run that gear for a long time as it's the same one I use for the Dakota 5-O. So there you have it.

I'm hoping this event will be good prep for (1) Gravel Worlds and (2) the Dakota 5-O. Primarily the Dakota 5-O, I need some dirt time bad, like real bad. So let's go race bikes.

1 comment:

Shim said...

They'll be using the Southside of the Lake which has some pretty long and steep climbs. Also one long steep climb on the Northside, i.e. 15+% grades. Most of the rest pretty much rolls.