Thursday, August 5, 2010

It hurts me to say this...

But I think I actually learned something from RF yesterday. Just kidding...about the hurting part, not the learning part. I've been doing some homework researching training with power and RF's comment on one of my previous posts made me take note of what I think is a chink in the armor.

I've struggled all year with maintaining a constant power output. This is mainly noticeable on the Wednesday worlds ride when we're blasting through the valley after Ft. Calhoun. Ryan made the comment that when using heart rate alone the lag time between power output and heart rate can give you a false sense of effort (or recovery). Last night my mind was opened on the rollers along the Trace. My heart rate was in the zone but the power output was super inconsistent.

The problem is compounded by the fact that I always choose hills over flats. Corrective measures using a power meter will have to wait until 2011, until then, hello airport loop and Missouri river valley.

No comments: