Thursday, August 5, 2010

I agree

I copied this off of Steve's blog. It rings so true. Take note everyone I ride with, this annoys the hell out me too.

I went on a ride yesterday with a bunch of folks I have mostly never ride with. They turned out to be one of those “car up” groups. It sort of drives me crazy. The constant car up, car back, stopping, hole, ect. thing. I’m so used to riding in groups where nothing is ever said, unless someone seems to be in mortal danger, that with people are yelling every other minute, it initially scares me and eventually bugs me. 

I know how this starts and it is somewhat common throughout the country. I don’t get it. Especially car up. What is the purpose of yelling car up? Telling the guys you are with to not peel off into the oncoming traffic. I always think, “boy, I was lucky they yelled because I was just about ready to ride for a while in the opposite lane.” 

I love the last sentence.

Now, what's it going to take to get everyone up to speed on how to read wind direction so we rotate in the correct direction? Let me explain it this way...whatever side of your body the wind is blowing on, rotate in that direction, even if it's a tailwind. Example...Last night the wind was out of the north west. With that being said, it works out like this...when riding...
  • North (headwind) - the wind is blowing on your left shoulder so you rotate to the left or counterclockwise.
  • South (tailwind) - the wind is blowing on you right hip so you rotate to the right or clockwise.
  • East (tailwind) - the wind is blowing on your left hip so you rotate to the left or counterclockwise.
  • West (headwind) - the wind is blowing on your right shoulder so you rotate to the right or clockwise.
Get it?

9 comments:

RD said...

there is car behind your right now as we speak

bryan said...

I can assure you I know which way to rotate. I want to do as little work as possible. I know how to hide.

Rad-Renner said...

sometimes at higher riding speeds it can be hard to figure out where the wind is coming from. I've heard that above a 25 mph riding speed, basically any wind direction becomes more-or-less a "head wind". In smaller groups it's easier to figure out (you just find the sweet spot), but in larger groups where you can't always move around...anyway, yeah, it's annoying.

MOD 2.0 said...

Bryan...you should have said "If I put you in the gutter it's not because I don't which way to rotate."

Dave...I say to you this, whens the last time you rode over 25 miles into a headwind? I haven't. Second, the average yaw angle is about 17 degrees when riding a bike at 20ish mph, so you should always be a little left or a little right of the guy in front of you, unless it's that one day of the year when the wind is head on and the road is dead straight.

mw said...

rules schmules

sydney said...

I am so with you on these points. I hate the calling out. As far as I can tell, all it does is is make everyone go, "What?" and tap their brakes or vary their line.

Plus, I love the quiet -- just the whir of the bikes and sound of the breeze, please.

jono said...

It seems like such an American way to ride your bike--dumbed down and intentionally handicapped. It takes the rhythm and beauty away from riding in a pack with people you trust and learn from. I'm in agreement.

Shim said...

Dude it's all about safety, especially when your in a group of people who you don't ride with often. I'd rather be safe than sorry, I rarely call out anything unless I'm with a group normally ride with. When you see a car coming do you ever look to see if everyone is paying attention? I do and often on a group ride their not. So call it, don't be afraid nobody will think less of you if they do their proabably an asshole.

But then again if you feel that it is beneath you or isn't cool then hopefully your the one that gets taken down, you can tell everyone how cool you are from your hospital bed.

E.O'B. said...

Gotta dissent on this one. When I ride with a bunch of people I don't know, I want to know that they're paying attention. And when we're rotating in echelon, knowing that a car is approaching from ahead or behind keep everyone safer.