Monday, July 12, 2010

I learned a couple things

When I was in Panama. (1) Omaha is the 18th hilliest city in the US. Now where that came from I don't know, but I'd agree. (2) Coconut (pipa) water is so pure and so packed with electrolytes you can use it intravenously in place of plasma.

Yeah, I had to look that up when I got home, but sure enough, here's seven benefits of coconut water.

Well, as you can see, when in panama we were sucking it straight from the coconut. The street vendors keep these little gems of the natural world on ice so the water inside is nice and cold. Pipa water is now my go to re-hydrant post workout. I tried it on the bike but it's a bit to sweet, not to mention it's a bit big for a bottle cage. I can pretty much guarantee it's better for you than any Gatorade, blah, blah, blah energy drink. I love it.

Cross season is getting closer and closer. I started scouting practice grounds and have come up with a new course in addition to the one we used at Seymour Smith last year. I've also begun rounding up additional parts for the B bike.

The hardest thing to track down has been a Shimano 46T chainring. Shimano quit making these a few years back, if you're a SRAM guy you're fine, but I'm not. Luckily I ran across a shop in Wisco that has a crap ton of some 7800 46t rings. Price was right so it's on the way.

I also needed a good set of training wheels, and of course, being the Shimano guy that I am, I went ahead and ordered up a set of RS30's. Pretty decent wheelset for $350. Rim profile matches my Ultegra's so they make a perfect daily trainer which you can throw some mud tires on just in case for race weekends.

It's time to start running and thinking about 1 hour mega high intensity efforts. Let's go!

7 comments:

brady said...

Yes but is a coconut transfusion banned by the UCI?

Anyway, where do you buy fresh coconuts in Omaha?

tobeistobex said...

I drank it right out of the coconut for the first time at Daily Grub a couple of weeks ago. I was shocked by the flavor. It is so good.

speedomodel said...

You could always order a Specialites TA Squale 46t chainring, but only if you're sexy. :)

http://www.specialites-ta.com/produits/plateaux/rte_squale_big.jpg

MOD 2.0 said...

Very true James.

But it wouldn't have the bad ass D/A shifter ramps.

mathguy said...

I've been using Hefflinger for cx practice the last couple of years (as well as Smith and Swanson). It's got some nice features. What park were you thinking about?

MOD 2.0 said...

Chili greens...question is, do we ask for permission or wait and ask forgiveness?

mathguy said...

CG is perfect if UNO doesn't mind. Every time I ride by, I think about what a great course you could put together there...