Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Demon Days

It's here, the insanity of the great plains summer. And right on schedule too, seeing how yesterday was officially the start of summer. I welcomed the new season by actually doing structured intervals. What the hell was I thinking. It's been a good fifteen years since I last did anything like this. Usually I follow the race into shape model and just let the speed come. But with the long term focus set, I figured why not. No wonder it sucked being on the bike today, for even while I sit here at, oh let's see, 9 o'clock, the heat index according to NOAA is, oh, only ONE HUNDRED TWO degrees.

We're a long way from January, think cool thoughts

You see, I'm about a second generation american that's half German, quarter Cech and quarter English. I've always associated myself more with the English quarter but my build is more Cech/German, as in big boned. The English side is made up of much slighter men. Anyway, the point I'm getting at is, my young american, northern european blood doesn't take too kindly to the seasonal shift to summer. I'd prefer to climb into the den and hibernate until 'cross season, but that's just not going to happen.

So for all you haters (Bryan and Ryan), now is the time to come out and kick my ass while I'm down, because I won't be able to do much for the next two months in this heat and humidity. My body just doesn't take to it.

But, with that being said, I've got some work to do. You'll notice a new bit on the sidebar, "The Program". I've finally put an event schedule together. It's rather, shall I say, expansive, so it's more of a wish list. The USGP's, 'Cross Nats and the 5-O are pretty set in stone, as are the local MTB's and CX's. The rest, are negotiable. So, with about 12 weeks until the first 'cross race it's time to start focusing on some speed work.

'Cross will be a thinner, more serious affair in 2010

I've got my 3K of base miles to build off of, so the first six week block will focus on longer duration intervals while the last six week block will focus on short duration, high intensity stuff. Oh fun.

5 comments:

Mark Studnicki said...

i predict you will be tearing the shit up this 'cx season. Make sure you cut off the base miles crap soon and start on the short full-gas efforts.

Jer said...

I may be done riding with you for the year...not sure I can handle an even faster Mod! jk.

munsoned said...

Dude, I'm a Scandinavian freckled red-headed ginger. You think my body does well with heat and humidity?

It's all about the acclimation. Keep your house at 75° to 80°. Get used to a constant state of perspiration. Think of it this way, if your body can think that 50° is almost hot in February, 65° should feel uncomfortably frigid in July.

But yes, like others have said, watching you tear it up this year has been real impressive. I still think getting 2nd at Ponca on a single speed having dropped the chain 3 times is E P I C. Just had to throw that out there.

bryan said...

hater? dude ...

MOD 2.0 said...

Bryan, it's like a term of endearment. Am I still on the list?