Monday, June 14, 2010

Back on the program

I haven't talked about food for a while now. The trips to Cali and then Central America have put me in the "eat what's available category."

Both trips I found myself being taking care of by a personal chef. Something I could get use to. However, the chefs were cooking for large groups and were on the groups program. In Panama I really enjoyed the three squares that were prepared for us daily. The downside, quite a bit of dairy and quite a bit of gluten.

I'm pretty much convinced at this point that I have some sort of gluten intolerance as well as lactate. My muscles feel more inflamed and my sinuses produce more mucus. The solution, back off it.

Truth be told, most of my food adventures are courtesy of my lovely wife. She's the real mastermind behind what I learn and what I've learned. So tonight we start with this beautiful pesto portobello pasta with heirloom tomato salad. We've experimented with a number of gluten free pastas but have settled on the quinoa version. We tried buckwheat noodles, but they were too brittle and made it feel like you were eating pasta from a can. Rice noodles worked well too but not as good as quinoa. Pesto and grilled portobello's speak for themselves, delicious.

The salad was pulled from Tal Ronnen's The Conscience Cook ~ Delicious Meatless recipes that will change the way you eat. Our product was picked up at the Aksarben Village farmers market. Great local growers with tons of fresh veggies as well as grass fed beef and pork.

Heirloom tomato salad with crisped capers...

  • 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon capers, drained
  • 3 pounds mixed heirloom tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
  • 2 tablespoons fresh basil
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
  1. Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a small saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the capers and cook until crisp, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove to a paper towel.
  2. Place the tomatoes in a large bowl. Drizzle with the remaining 1/4 cup oil, add the basil, season with salt and pepper to taste, and gently toss to coat. Sprinkle the capers on the salad after they're plated so they stay crisp.
Makes 6 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes.

* The above recipe was printed without permission, so go out and buy the book. Your body and mind will thank you.

So where has all this left me? Well, I was totally prepared to step on the scale upon my return to the states and see 175. Not the case, still hovering just below 170 with two and a half months until cross season. I think I'm shooting for 160 now, still have some serious love handles so it shouldn't be too tough.

3 comments:

bryan said...

Dude. No. I can't get down to 150.

The Douglas said...

Picture and recipe are tempting. I've wanted to try the quinoa pasta. Boiled quinoa is a staple in our house. The cost has kept us from buying the pasta version. Will have to try it now.

the technIAn said...

I have been following your diet changes with a lot of interest. I have been reducing the amount of gluten & refined/processed grains while greatly increasing the amount of fresh fruits and vegetables. On my trip to Brazil, my allergies finally hit (usually late season anyways) but my gluten intake was very high. I felt slightly fatigued over the course of over a week. Interesting thoughts. Feels a lot better to be home and eating with a little more focus not that I didn't eat well there.