Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Pushing limits

You've probably heard me say it before, I ride so I can eat and drink. And holding true to last weeks rule of Treat treats as treats.

Saturday Anne and I had a BBQ at friends place and smoked featherbones with homemade BBQ sauce was the main course which I chased with my favorite St. Bernadus Abt 12. Needless to say, it was really good. It was better knowing that earlier in the day I got me 60 miles in.

Sunday was mother's day. Not to go overboard, I went lean on breakfast and dinner knowing that lunch was going to be rich. Bison burgers, bbq chicken, scalloped potatoes, green beans and desert. Dirty, delicious desert. I'll stop there.

So now it's Monday, time to get back on track. Energy smoothie for breakfast, little leftovers for lunch, blueberry smoothie for dinner.  The train is back on the track.

Which brings me to this weeks Food Rule. #12: Shop the peripheries of the supermarket and stay out of the middle. Micheal Pollan goes on to explain...Most supermarkets are laid out the same way. Processed food products dominate the center aisles of the store, while the cases of mostly fresh food - produce, meat and fish, dairy - line the walls. If you keep to the edges of the store you'll be much more likely to wind up with real food in your shopping cart. This strategy in not foolproof, however, since things like high-fructose corn syrup have crept into the dairy case under the cover of flavored yogurts and the like. Although the above rich meals were...well rich...all the ingredients were as fresh as we could get them and nothing came processed out of bottle or package.

So since Nate has since nicknamed me Blueberry, I'll leave you with this, my favorite Clean smoothie...

Blueberry, Carob and Almond Milk Smoothie


1 cup of frozen organic blueberries
1 1/2 cups almond milk
1 to 2 teaspoons agave syrup
2 teaspoons raw cacao powder, carob powder or cocoa (I could only find cocoa baking powder)
1/2 ice


Blend together until smooth.

3 comments:

sda said...

You inspired me Mod. I started the Standard Process 21-day program on Sunday. 3 days in and I'm already seeing some results. Not doing it for weight loss (I am already at a 5 year low) but mainly for the detox aspect. I'll keep you posted as to how this turns out.

MOD 2.0 said...

Sweet, I'm still amazed how good I'm feeling.

RD said...

you should just quit biking and make infomercial :D I'll come over with camera now we just need a studio audiance
weirdly enough here is what came in my email today
simple sugar
that is all simple sugar except for booze