Friday, May 7, 2010

The most beautiful bicycle race in the world

Spring is for the classics. Where the hard men of Peloton, after months of cold miles on the Belgian cobbles, do battle on some of the harshest terrain of the year. Summer though is for the Grand Tours. And none other is as grand a spectacle as the Giro d'Italia, which begins tomorrow.

It was on the road in Italy that I fell in love with European road cycling. The roads of Giro are narrow and dangerous. The climbs steep and often strewn with our beloved gravel. The cuisine is the best in the world. and the culture is one that loves it's history and cherishes the finer things in life.

I was lucky enough to have crossed paths with the Giro and see Marco Pantani time trial through the streets of Treviso and climb through the mountains of the Dolomites in the Maglia Rosa. A time I'll never forget and long to duplicate. They are calling this years Giro as a battle between Cadel Evans, Carlos Sastre and Ivan Basso. I'm always drawn to the outsider, the one that will take down the giants of the race. Vincenzo Nibali is an outsider. Just 25 years old, brought in to help Ivan Basso win. Back in 2004 a young Damiano Cunego bested team leader Gilberto Simoni. With Italian eyes watching Basso, 2010 might be a year for Nibali.

Universal Sports has daily coverage. Tune in.

3 comments:

munsoned said...

Universal sports is awesome. I'm so looking forward to this. Holy Crap! I just realized I have the next 2 weeks off!! Well, now I know what I'll be doing in the mornings.

And yes, there's something in the tension when 2 teammates are going for the podium. It's happened many times and always makes a race interesting.

RD said...

let hope greece will collapse and we can go to europe on cheap next year ~!!!! yes? yes... okay!

MOD 2.0 said...

Yep, perfect timing for Anne and I's fifth anniversary.