Wednesday, May 12, 2010

MOD 2.0: 1 - Jack Russell Terrier: 0

I'm taking the W on this one. Let me explain.

I'm no stranger to country dogs giving chase. You usually hear them coming and see them bolt. Sometimes they get the jump on you, sometimes it's easy to ride away. Yesterday was not one of those days. By the time I caught glimpse of this Jack Russell terrier I had about enough time to think, holy $h!t, he's not slowing down. BAM! T-boned him square in the rib cage at about 20 miles an hour. He took my front wheel out and I hit the deck. I jumped up shouting obscenities at the dog and the farm house from which came, hoping the owners would come out so I could give them a piece of mind. Jack's two cohorts, a hunting dog and a golden were smart and kept their distance. After the impact, Jack took off never to be seen again. Wouldn't be surprised if the little bastard has a couple busted rips or a broken back. Dumb ass.

Me? I came away pretty clean. Couple scuffs on the bike, I shredded pair of Castelli Unico gloves, a small tear in my shorts, an apple sized strawberry on my hip and about 10 minutes of on the spot chain re-mounting that required loosening the pulley cage on my rear derailleur to free the jammed link. Thank you Crank Bros. Multi 17 too.

So why do I get the W today and Jack takes the L. Because he ran home like a little bitch and I got up and finished my ride taping out multiple climbs with no-hands on the bars, working on my power. Suck it Jack Russell!

I began thinking it just wasn't my day on the bike when on the way home on the Keystone I had to abort the trail when some dumas in a screaming yellow jacket was riding two abreast with his head down. A couple shouts barely got him back on his side of the trail but I was on the grass regardless.


Anyway, enough of me bitchin' about dogs and screaming yellow wearing bike path heros. My boy Vincenzo Nibali took the maglia rosa in the Giro today. Have I mentioned how much I love this bike race? Four stages, four leaders, gravel stage on Saturday and mountain top finish on Sunday. Compare this to the TdF, no contest, the Giro is way more exciting.

And for you beer connesuir's, check the fresh duds we just got in at VG.

The Duvel SE & The Original, I love my job.

14 comments:

Shim said...

OK, the red one is cool, I see a discount bin in the black jersey's future.

Mark said...

It takes a very small man, in more ways than one, to be proud that he hit a dog that was roughly 10% of his size. It was an accident and they happen, but you have to be an adult about it and not wish that you caused it serious injury. Grow up.

speedomodel said...

I don't think any ankle-biter under 30 lbs should be called a dog.

E.O'B. said...

I've had TWO teammates suffer broken pelvises after encounters like these.

@Mark: I think a little survivor's exultation is justified here. As is the anger at the dog's owners. It's not like the poster TRIED to hit the dog, and nothing in the post indicates he was happy it happened--just that he was happy to have walked away unscathed.

mark said...

"Wouldn't be surprised if the little bastard has a couple busted rips or a broken back. Dumb ass."

I'm glad mod wasn't hurt. I hit a rabbit a few years ago and broke my shoulder, but I wasn't upset as stuff just happens. You just have to take life in stride. I was sad that I had hit an animal, and even though it ran off, I prayed that it was ok, but I guess it is just the type of person I am are.

I don't like to hear about accidents with animals and riders, but to call the dog a bastard and dumbass is just low.

Should the owners have tied it up or fenced it in? Absolutely.

MOD 2.0 said...

First off, I love dogs, I've thought many times about getting one. I've had dogs as a child and I've watched them die in my arms. Ask my wife how I act around dogs, I love them.

But any animal that chases after cars, bikes or any other vehicle, is a dumbass.

As far as your comment that I should grow up. Maybe you should man up instead of hiding behind a blocked blogger profile (sorry, it's annoying to many when we don't know the identity of the one slinging insults)

As for you assuming that I wish the dog harm, I only made the statement that I wouldn't be surprised if it had broke something. We all know what happens when you assume.

Things like this DO happen, I got up, repaired my bike and finished my ride, thanking my lucky charms that I came out of it unscathed minus a few cuts.

bryan said...

The best part of the semi-anonymous commenter is that he has TWO blocked profiles. Sweet.

I love me some trolls.

RD said...

I'm pretty sure the dog doesn't care if you call him bastard or dumbass or kevin smith or jay....
get off your high horse about calling animals names.
Even better just go and volunteer at the animal shelter and you can call those animals whatever names you wish...

bminks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Skip said...

I think you should add a little Jack Russell Terrier emblem to your top tube, fighter pilot style.

MOD 2.0 said...

...and two sparrows from when they flung their bodies against my head tube last year.

farrell said...

I had a dog chase me one time. I got away, but the car behind me ran over it. No more dog. I guess it wasn't smart enough to watch for traffic. "Dumb ass"

RD said...

nice Skip nice. GTA for sure

johnny said...

I have done exactly the same thing except the dog was wedged between my wheel and chainring. Bent my derailer hanger scuffed my jersey and once I was found out to be okay rendered my co-horts giddy with laughter. F the dog I would have exacted some Army style revenge upon the owner but it was a crack house. So, oh well ride on.