Monday, April 26, 2010

Transformation

The cleanse has come to an end. The final week I leveled off the weight loss and kept it at 170. This marks a 30 pound loss since the new year (those jeans were snug mid-december). Anne and I ushered the cleanse to an end Saturday night with a bottle of wine to celebrate. I've lost all my tolerance and was pretty much toast after a half glass. Sunday morning I went on a quest for carbs and fired on some buckwheat waffles while watching Liege-Bastogne-Liege. Awesome race by the way, not to stoked that Vino won, but oh well, my boy Philipe Gilbert is now top of the UCI rankings.

In addition to finishing the cleanse I also finished my re-read of 'KELLY'. It's a 1986 biography of the great Sean Kelly. As Bryan, Sarah and I headed out on our Sunday battle of the elements I kept thinking of a Kelly quote I read the night before. Kelly was asked if we would go out and train on one of those days when you look out of your window and know it's freezing outside. "The thing", he said, "about the cold is that you never can tell exactly how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it was." We dressed, and headed north into the high winds and misty skies. Upon our return, I could accurately say, it was a good day to ride.

Since then I devoured a La Casa margherita pizza, a Rochefort 10 and a couple ounces of scotch. Definitely don't feel as fresh as I did during the cleanse but my cravings have been satisfied. So with that in mind I'm trying to figure out how to stay on the clean program diet but increase my calories and carbohydrates. Tomorrow I'll keep going with the smoothies but I'm adding in buckwheat pasta to the chicken and vegetable recipe. I'm taking it all in moderation. Limiting my exposure to the "no go" items, and putting an athlete's twist on the "go" items. I'll keep you posted.

200 in 2009 and 170 in 2010


11 comments:

Dan Sundermeier said...

Good work Mod! That takes some true commitment!

sydney said...

Impressive. Good job. Looking forward to the menu/recipes you might be posting.

bryan said...

congrats, Skinny Mark Savery.

greasyknuckles said...

please put your clothes back on.

speedomodel said...

Nicely done, Mark. That's quite a transformation.

Skip said...

Great job. Now please listen to Nate.

Mark Studnicki said...

WOW. I might have just have to attempt this one day.

MOD said...

@ Mark, CX season in four and half months. It's 1999 all over again buddy. We need another Industry Cup team!

@ Nate, I'm coming over and I'm only wearing my compression tights.

A.B. said...

You look great, Mark! Thanks for sharing your story!
I've been really interested in your results, as I have started down a similar path. It's not as calculated, just eating healthier smaller portions and exercising more. Unfortunately, on my first ride of the season, I had a freak accident in which I tumbled off the bike and turned my ankle backwards, which has hindered me a lot. But I am doing physical therapy and am back on a modified workout routine (no biking allowed yet), and stories like yours are giving me a lot of motivation! As you could probably tell, I have been well above the "clyde" threshold of 200 lbs for a few years. So far, I have lost about 15 lbs since the new year.
Anyways, thanks for the inspiration, and keep up the good work!

Roxy said...

Geez, now everyone's looking like Nate, sans the beard. HA! Seriously, with Ryan's similar progress, I've seen the commitment it takes. Biker mentality: ride a lot, eat a lot more! It's tough, especially when rides end at Lil Burro! Keep your wits and just remember this: "Fuel the machine instead of feeding the monster." Keep it up!

cvo said...

I'd hit it!

er good job buddy.