Friday, February 12, 2010

And just like that

...I'm a regular. Since exiting the world of bike shop management I've fallen back into the life of the morning coffee run. And today, as I walked into Crane Coffee at 60th & Center the barista called out my drink before I could open my mouth. A regular. Usually though, it's at this point when I start to feel uncomfortable with the folks behind the bar expecting me to come in the door. I don't want to be that guy all the time. Sometimes I'd like to roll in with complete anonymity. However, the ladies at Crane make some damn good coffee, it's five blocks from my house and on my way to work.

I've also managed to not become a regular commuter to my new digs. Part of it is the distance, part of it's the cold, part of it's the local. When you add it all together, it's a sucky route that has me overheating by arrival and the city/county does a crap job of clearing snow. Yeah, excuses, I know. After three years of being a one car family, which means, I rode everywhere, it's nice to have my VW back. I'll still commute by bike, but now I'll probably be more three season than four.

I've also become a regular fixture on the weekend rides. There seems to be a bit of a debate going on at Mitmon over the plan. I, however, will not let Shim veer me off course. I'm heading north through the loess hills of Iowa. I'm a regular there too. I love it, winding, rolling Ardenne style roads, gravel instead of cobbles. The plan is to meet at Aksarben Village (Wohlners) at 10am, we'll roll out over the ped bridge and head north to Crescent. Plan on 55-60 miles and be prepared for snow, might start about noon.

Two weeks of 'cross racing left, Superprestige final is this Sunday, GVA Trophee the next, then it's all in for the start of the classics with the Omloop Het Nieuwsblad. BKW has a great read on it.

6 comments:

carhenge said...

Don't worry, Crane has six other locations for those times that you need to feel anonymous. Of course, none of them have the quality baristas that the 60th & Center store does.

Shim said...

Your just afraid to ride with Kent, you know you have paybacks coming.

Belgisch voetbal livestream said...

Omloop Het Nieuwsblad is live on BVLS. Here the livestream-calendar :
07-12/02 Tour of Qatar
27/02 Omloop Het Nieuwsblad
28/02 Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne
03/03 GP Samyn
07-14/03 Parijs-Nice (Fra)
10-16/03 Tirreno-Adriatico (Ita)
20/03 Milaan-Sanremo (Ita)
24/03 Dwars door Vlaanderen
27/03 E3-Prijs
28/03 Gent-Wevelgem
30-01/04 Driedaagse De Panne
04/04 Ronde van Vlaanderen
07/04 Scheldeprijs Vlaanderen
11/04 Parijs-Roubaix (Fra)
14/04 Brabantse Pijl
18/04 Amstel Gold Race (Ned)
21/04 La Flèche Wallonne
25/04 Liège - Bastogne - Liège
and more...

http://voetbal-kijken.blogspot.com/search/label/cycling

MOD said...

Shim, why are you so afraid to ride in some real hills? Come on buddy, saddle up.

Carhenge, I'm more impressed with the 60th & center crew each time.

BVLS, thanks for all the links, 'cross season is has been incredible. Looking forward to all the race this spring.

mw said...

glad you're getting out man, we've been enjoying it. i can't believe how many times we've been up to valpariso this season. sorry about your commuting. that would crush me. did ann get another car?

MOD said...

MW...The commuting thing was going to be a challenge regardless, but yes, Anne did get a new car.

The positives of all this regularity...I HAVE a car, which means I can come down at will and ride with you guys...OR...weekly Tuesday nighter at Platte this year? Or...a D St Saturday or Sunday?

Once, Omaha gets its act together, the commuting will kick back in. The seven miles to the office is the longest commute I've ever had. Almost long enough to get all geared up for, which I'm really not into, I like to ride casual.