Friday, January 22, 2010

Lap of Luxury

Some folks think it's an in home theatre, or perhaps an extravagant shower or whirlpool bath to relax in. Me? An in house bike wash station. Now that we're knee deep in the doom and gloom of sunless winter days, nothings nicer than washing up that snow melt and salt soaked bike with warm water and more importantly warm hands.


I've always dreamt of being able to really wash my bike of choice indoors during the winter months. Yeah I've done the typical shower rinse but that doesn't always sit well with those that see the bathroom in a different light and I must agree, the post rinse clean-up sucks. So after a bit design layout I headed down to the hardware store and went to town. This is what about $20 of PVC and shower liners gets you, a full blown, in home, salt rinse station. It's nice having an unfinished, walk out basement. Bring on the wet, I'm ready to go.

More to come this weekend. Live coverage of the WC CX finals at BVLS, 8:00a on Sunday. The Arsenal young guns went top of the charts in the BPL, hopefully AC Milan can get one step closer too with a win over Inter, Sunday at 1:45p on FSC.

Saturday afternoon looks like the best bet for a ride if the rain clears out as forecasted. Anyone down for a road spin? Wind looks a bit heavy swinging hard to the west / northwest after the rain. Ideas?

Sunday snow? Ugh! I need sun...

11 comments:

munsoned said...

You have no idea how jealous I am. The whole reason I have that Wingra beater bike with a rear disc brake is because I can't spend an hour outside freezing my fingers off trying to get it clean. I would get something like an X0-2 in a second if I could clean it off with consistency. Nothing worse than hearing dirty brake pads grind away on dirty rims.

brady said...

Nice!

Will you groom my dog?

MOD said...

Sorry Brady, dog hair clogs the drain worse than gravel and sand.

RD said...

the best part of your post..."doesn't always sit well with those that see the bathroom in a different light" nice

munsoned said...

Yeah, I remember when I was training a ton, I took a shower with my bike after some of those long winter base mile sessions. Of course, since I can't see well without my glasses, the tub got pretty gross. But at least my bike and I got clean. Simple Green does wonders for body odor.

Oh wait, too much info???

scott showen said...

nice setup, i prefer to wait until april to clean my bike.

Endurosnob said...

So wait, we're supposed to clean our bikes...

MOD said...

You? No, just keep doing what you're doing.

t-nuts said...

dude, money!

so do the lower arms pivot in for storage or are they fixed open?

actually...is this glued at all or is it just press fit together for easy dismantle?

what sucks is I didn't see this until just now. I spent 2 hours yesterday at Home Depot buying stuff not nearly as sweet as this contraption.

TK

Shim said...

I have one of those it's called a driveway, and it's really cold right now.

MOD said...

TK...Press fit so it folds up. I need to make a few modifications to make it a bit more stable like lower cross bars to keep everything square.

Yesterday was sweet, within 10 minutes of getting home the bike was washed and I was in the shower, quick wipe down this morning and you can't even tell how beat down the bike was after yesterdays 3 hour slop fest.