Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A Dog in a Hat: Joe Parkin


Rarely do I ever ask for specific gifts for birthday's or christmas. This year however I asked Mom and Dad for a book, A Dog in a Hat by Joe Parkin. I'm a bit of a late comer to this particular title as it's been out for a year or so. This book is a non-stop read.

I grew up racing road bikes in the 80's. Parkin lived the life that I only dreamed about. While I was 14 and just beginning my time as a road racer, Joe, four years my elder, was packing his bike and heading to Belgium. His Memoir brings that era back to life in a real world account of the under belly of professional cycling.

The magazines and TV coverage of the day focused on Greg Lemond and team 7 Eleven. Little did I know that riders like Parkin were fighting it out to survive in the pro peloton. Years later Joe and I's paths would cross, he was racing mountain bikes for Diamond Back and I was a rookie mechanic for Manitou. I doubt Joe would remember me, but I now wish I could have heard the stories first hand now that I truly have some insight into his life in Europe. This book paints a perfect picture of the real hard men of sport. Pick up a copy, you'll love it.

5 comments:

mathguy said...

His blog is great too:

http://www.6yearsinaraincape.com/

MOD said...

Thanks Randy, forgot to drop in that link, good stuff for sure.

sda said...

I came here to say what mathguy said.

CJ said...

I bought this book on Thursday after reading your review and looking over the pdf for the first chapter which can be downloaded free. So, far this book is fantastic!

Thanks!

MOD said...

CJ, glad you're enjoying it. Look for a new title by Parkin this April.