Monday, October 5, 2009

Let the CX begin

I'll just put up a photo from last years CX at Swanson because really, nothing changed much from a year ago. Although I did manage to be the first person to not get lapped this time around. Sadly, I am calling it quits. Quits that is to racing CX on a singlespeed. With my dismal 12th place finish I realized that I want a little more out of 'cross this year than drinking beer and trying not to get lapped. So with that said, I ordered up a fresh Ultegra kit for the Marin, tubeless wheels and all. A new chassis may be in order, still thinking on that one.

The new (old) bike will be 1x10 (42x12x25). I'm debating on the tire thing. The new Ultegra wheels are tubeless ready but with only one tire choice, Hutchy Bulldogs, so with that in mind, they might find some tubes lingering about their innerds because I'd really like to find some Challenge Griffo's.

Next race looks to be Capital Cross in Topeka followed by the Boulevard Cup. We'll see how much 'cross fitness I can muster in the next two weeks, I've got some catching up to do.

8 comments:

Mark Studnicki said...

Now you've come to your senses. You go way faster, it will feel easier, and you'll enjoy it a hell of a lot more with 9 cogs back there, or 10 in your case. Would have loved to raced up there, but they had races down here paying 10 deep, so everybody and their brothers so up. it's was so fast, Tilford didn't win either day.

MOD said...

I'm pretty pumped to get down there for some racing, well, that and some Arthur Bryants.

You guys look like you're flying, I need to find some highend...fast!

-kw said...

I have some Challenge Griffo clinchers for you. Cheap. Gimme a ring.

sydney said...

i love gears.

I'm also headed south that weekend. Be pleased as punch to pay my share of the fuel costs.

MOD said...

Syd, I think Mr. T and I will be down there on biznas already. I'll keep you in mind for other trips though.

The D said...

You looked good out there Mod. I couldn't stick around for the finish, but I watched most of you race. I had a blast racing my first cx race. Swanson seemed to be a good course.

I'm in the market for a single speed cx bike, so if you're unloading, give me a shout.

sydney said...

@The_D: Oh, just get gears from the get-go. You don't have to shift if you don't want to.

Endurosnob said...

I'll stand alone in a moment of silence for the death of the single speed.