Tuesday, October 20, 2009

G.P. M-O-D

My take-aways from this past weekends racing in Topeka and KC have me thinking. Thinking about putting on a little race of my own. The Grand Prix MOD. The catch, everyone has to race with a twenty pound weight on their back. Except me.

Or I just get my act together, find some discipline, and drop the twenty pounds I've been talking about dropping the whole year.

So what came of this weekends festivities? Well...Tom and Nancy rock, they welcomed the NE CX crew with open arms and nourished us with a full spread for dinner and breakfast.

I figured out my tire pressure limits on the new Grifo race treads. Forty is too low, as I unseated a bead Saturday on a remount. Big thanks to Schmitty for getting me a wheel he had left in the pit, allowing me to finish up the race.

I figured out that I don't posses enough power to effectively race in zoysia grass. brutal.

The leg speed felt good through the high speed barriers even though I pulled something.

Saturday/Sunday races are tough, real tough.

Math Guy, Schmitty and T-Nuts made it on the podium at one point or another. Mr. T rocked it on Saturday and Nate, Tom and JB all put in good performances. So where does that leave me? Good question. I've had a pretty slack ride program since the 5-O and it's showing. My only hope now is that over the next 5-6 weeks I can pull some of that fitness back. I'm hoping that the Tuesday CX practice at Seymour Smith will help, along with keeping the diet in check.

Next up is the Norfolk race this Saturday followed by three weekends off. Then it'll be all in with three back to backs, DeStad, Lincoln and Jingle Cross.

7 comments:

brady said...

What time does the the CX practice at Seymour Smith start on Tuesday? Is it open for all?

jxw said...

MOD, As a fellow rider of larger stature, I feel your pain. Start now, stick to a good diet, ride,run,lift,whatever, whenever you can, get the proper recovery nutrition after hard efforts, rest when your body tells you to. You know this, it is discipline, now do it. I did this Nov. 2008 after a disappointing CX weekend in Lincoln. Normally I would get to 215+ in winter, not this year, I held back on all the yummy stuff through the holidays. I stayed 195 all year until Sept. finally 190. Shooting for 180-185 next year. Power to weight ratio will be nasty. Use your potential to kick ass as your motivation. In the nicest way I can I will say shut the fuck up and do it, then come out and kick ass next year biatch!

Shim said...

Comments reserved cuz I am a nice guy!

Joe Keays said...

Hey

My name is Joe Keays and I'm from Southern California. I’m coming into Omaha on business this Friday afternoon through Sunday morning. I have 2 windows of time to get in a workout/ride/spin. Friday 6:00pm-8pm and Saturday morning 6am-9:30am. My only option right now, without a bike, is to go to a 24hrFitness SPIN class Saturday morning. The class starts at 8:15am but I would get there 7ish to get in some more time.

Wondering if you or anyone you know has any thoughts as spinning is not my #1 choice. Hitting the trails in a new area is much higher on the fun meter. I’m a top Cat 2 MTB rider and I just did 47 miles and over 7000ft of climbing near my house the other day at 11+mph to give you a flavor of the torture/intensity I like to ride. I’m 41 and looking for a group of MTB riders to show me your local trails. I’m not 100% sure there is anything near Omaha or my windows of time are large enough to make it work. I can bring my shoes, SPD or eggbeaters but I’m not going to pack my bike.

Willing to ride?

I found your site through a typical search of MTB's in Omaha. Not even sure if you're from Omaha.

I'm impressed with your site. BTW, the CX curcuit is becoming very popular in SoCal even though the weather is great all year round.

Enjoy

Joe Keays




I’m 6’2” and 180 and I can ride on a L or XL bike.



Thanks



Joe Keayswithout a bike, is to go to a 24 hour SPIN class Saturday morning. The class starts at 8:15am but I would get there 7:00ish to get some additional time in.

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts as spinning at 24hrfitness is not as scenic as taking in some new landscape. I'm a top Cat 2 rider in the MTB world. I just did 47 miles and over 7000ft of climbing on a MTB training ride; 11+mph to give you a flavor of my torture/intensity. I'm 41.

Any thoughts? Any MTB trails in Omaha?

Thanks

Joe Keaysright now, without a bike, is to go to a 24 hour SPIN class Saturday morning. The class starts at 8:15am but I would get there 7:00ish to get some additional time in.

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts as spinning at 24hrfitness is not as scenic as taking in some new landscape. I'm a top Cat 2 rider in the MTB world. I just did 47 miles and over 7000ft of climbing on a MTB training ride; 11+mph to give you a flavor of my torture/intensity. I'm 41.

Any thoughts? Any MTB trails in Omaha?

Thanks

Joe Keays

mw said...

beer beer beer beer
beer beer beer beer
beer beer beer beer
beer beer beer beer

MOD said...

Joe,

Not sure what others plans are but those times don't work for me. Trails will probably be too wet anyway as we'll have misty/rain conditions for the next three days. I stick to a spin class

Joe Keays said...

Hey MOD

Thanks for the weather update, I just assumed the weather was cool when I checked about 10 days ago and I didn't see any rain coming.

For future reference, do you a garmin file/files of your favorite ride or rides. Any link/website you can send me?

I like the technical stuff as well the torture of the climbs.

Thanks

Please send to
jkeays@roadrunner.com

It looks like I'll be spinning!!

Joe