Monday, January 28, 2008

Ready, steady, go


The new campaign starts today. Nothing extreme, just rock solid miles. Let me explain. Last year I jumped on at a feverish pitch putting in tons of saddle time in January, only to be left out in the cold, literally, in February. So now I begin in late January, ramping up the miles. Hopefully, February will oblige.

The fender clad Poprad was today's steed of choice as overnight temps didn't quite hit the freeze point. Gravel goodness mixed with the occasional pave' took me out to Springfield for what I had hoped to be a Wabash reconnaissance. No go, solid ice. I stayed on Phlugg road until 156th and then headed south towards Buffalo. Little did I know the giant that awaited (photo below). The zeros and ones never give it justice. I'd never taken Buffalo road before and by some freak chance the county just happened to grading today. Nothing like fighting alternating sections of permafrost and loose gravel. 2 hours in, a balmy 40+ degrees. Isn't the high 18 tomorrow? Help me out Mother Nature.

4 comments:

Cornbread said...

Dude, you should stop by Lincoln some weekend for a gravel ride. They're a lot of fun.

MOD said...

Someday.

Squirrel said...

Dude...you should ride to Lincoln for those gravel rides:)

Peace

MOD said...

Someday.