Friday, July 13, 2007

the race that started it all...

1991, i was coming off of road racing (aka, fed up with it) and mountain bikes seemed like the logical next step. lance voyles and i rolled down to quivira scout ranch in sedan kansas with mark janike. we hooked up with dk, trevor norland and brian kelley, along with scott bowens. This was pre-snort and the first time I'd met brian. we pretty much rocked it and next spring team snort was born. we stopped in some small town in kansas and it had a bike shop. guy asked us what kind of bikes we had on the car. i said "two fats and an ibis." he looked at me like i was speaking a foriegn language. "no" he said, "what make, what model?" we just laughed and drove on. janike later taught me the finer points of eating raw ramen.


from left: bk, mod, ethan froese (in yellow), dk


dk, rigid.


fresh off the road weighing an anorexic 165



bk, full moto rockin' toe clips


leaping lanny, aka crash voyles


the lever

7 comments:

katatonic said...

Pure sweetness. Enjoying seeing this old photos, Mod.

scott showen said...

is that jesse with the long hair the Lycra on watching you guys ?

MOD said...

He always liked hiding in the woods...hmmmmmmm.

Cornbread said...

Dang, that's Old School. Amazing those bike held up as well as they did.

unclechet said...

Hey, this is Matt Smith from Wichita, Ks. Loy Graham told me about your site. Cool shots from Quivira. I think I was at that race. In the Vet class. The shot of the start has my friend Rich Loibl in it. He still talks about you guys. I think the bikes from that time were the best. I had a Yeti FRO. Actually I still have it. Ha! Anyway thanks for posting those. Good races down there.

MOD said...

quivira was always one of my favorite races. They just did it right. I'd like to try to come down for the tour de lizard. Have to see if the timing works out this year.

I'll have more pics coming, cheers.

unclechet said...

Tour De Lizard is a great race. I've gotten my butt kicked there the last two tries in the SS class. If I make it this year I'll probably go in age group with gears.